[LAU] State of the art GUI

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Fri Jan 28 17:51:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 15:22:22 +0000
allcoms <allcoms at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Hartmut Noack <zettberlin at linuxuse.de>wrote:

<snip>

> > And it is not very surprising, that software for a complex task like
> > recording and editing a song with a band, comes with a complex UI.
>

> I see your point and 'most people' was prob they wrong way to phrase it as I
> personally have never used ecasound and I totally agree about the many
> advantages of a GUI for audio production. I think the point I was trying to
> make is that I'd expect Linux users on the whole to be less concerned about
> a pretty GUI than Windows and especially OSX users. Personally, If I have a
> choice between a super-shiny, CPU hogging GUI or a much more plain yet just
> as functional and much less CPU intensive GUI I'd go for the latter every
> time. Nice looks don't mean the program is any easier to use although bad
> colour schemes, un-intuitive layouts and GUIs that don't fit on your screen
> are obviously a real problem. Nice GUIs are cool and are desireable but pale
> into significance when compared to usability, stability, performance,
> features and in the case of synths sound quality.

Ironically one of the criticisms I've heard about Zyn/Yoshi interface is that
it's too old-fashioned and not flashy enough :o

There is an enormous amount of control you have in those programs, and, as far
as I can see, no 'small' way it can be represented.

I agree there is an amount of wasted space in Rosegarden, but not enough to be
a problem for me.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk