[LAU] State of the art GUI

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jan 29 05:56:38 UTC 2011

Hmmm, RG works quite well on my budget laptop's 1280x800 display. As
does Ardour 2. Haven't tried Ardour3. For comparison, the K CD Ripper
app on my system always opens its window about 1800px wide and is not
resizable.

The Zyn UI is a whole 'nother matter - it works fine, but you can't
resize it, can't fix the font size issues (text chars too big to fully
display). I understand the issue there is the developer of Zyn likes it
that way and sees no reason to change it. Similar to why Cal forked Zyn
as Yoshimi: Zyn developer sees no reason to change things that Cal
considered important.

I doubt that "most" people on this list use ecasound. ;-) But GUIs are
NOT the perfect UI for everything!

IDEALLY, your program is split in 2 parts. One part is the back end that
does the work and has a complete, cleanly-defined and well-documented
API callable from multiple languages. The other part is the UI. If the
backend's API is good, the UI can be completely separate from the
backend. If someone doesn't like the UI (it's too cluttered, too heavy,
too little) they can roll their own. If someone needs a text UI, they
can write one, too.

That way, "non-UI-design"-focussed programmers can make a great back
end, while those more interested in UI design can make a great front end.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community