[LAU] LV2 synths for Ardour 3?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sat Jul 2 19:44:52 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Leigh Dyer's message of 2011-07-02 18:55:07 +0200:
> On 07/03/2011 02:24 AM, rosea grammostola wrote:
> >
> > They should release a LV2 version instead imho. LV2 is much better
> > supported on Linux then VST. LV2 is ready for it...
>
> I'm not sure that LV2 is really that much better supported -- it has
> better support in open-source apps (notably Ardour 3), but Renoise
> apparently has very solid native VST support.

How many commercial hosts are there? There are certainly more free
software hosts on Linux.

> I'd love to have an LV2 Pianoteq, but being realistic, I know that
> there's a good chance that it won't happen. I'm sure it's a lot of extra
> work to implement support for a new plugin format, compared to simply
> porting the existing VST code to a new platform.

Both requires porting. I don't dare to judge how much work each case is.
There aren't that many native VST plugins, so I guess it's far from
simple.

> If we want to encourage more commercial developers to bring their
> Windows/OS X VST plugins across to Linux, I think having good native VST
> support in common hosts is going to help. I know that's not a goal some
> would share, but I'm personally in favour of having as many options
> available as possible.
>
> Thanks
> Leigh

Native VST support is a bane. It will drag along the VST license
troubles indefinitely. In my opinion every work done for native VST is
work lost for LV2, and it's not like there are a lot of developers
around.
At one point native VST might have seemed attractive (VST but more
stable than non-native, what else is the point of it?), but this
must have been the time before LV2. DSSI and especially ladspa might
have been limited in one way or another, but LV2 is potentially superior
to VST and while there's certainly much that can be done, I doubt that
it really lacks behind in capabilities even now.
So in my opinion native VST should be forgotten about as fast as
possible.

Philipp