[LAU] LV2 synths for Ardour 3?

Harry Van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 22:01:02 UTC 2011

> ... That would mean, customers would pay the software,
> but not  get the guarantee to make it working ... ?

I believe that is the way to scare away everybody thinking about using
linux. You have to pay for a program, and then the company won't even help
you get it working! Community support would be a good incentive to support a
platform, and this is area is one where the Linux Audio scene
fares strongly. Rarely is there a question unanswered on this list, and
rarely can the problem genuinely not be fixed. IMO that is the basis for a
healthy environment for development of software, weather it be closed or
open sourced.

The cost involved in porting software may be negligible, but the cost
involved in testing & QA for another platform is conciderable. If the linux
market share doesn't make it worth its while for this company to support the
linux platform, it won't do so. Having said that, I strongly encourage
commercial software companies to support the platform, as I feel its the
best one out there for low-lat audio :)

-Harry