[LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

Raffaele Morelli raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 11:41:18 UTC 2011

2011/7/7 James Stone <jamesmstone at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com>
> wrote:
> > On 07/07/2011 12:57 PM, Brett McCoy wrote:
> >> That's a strange way to do it... there are some techniques that
> >> require sustain and distortion or they won't sound right, even if
> >> added in post-production. But like I said, it's rare to do it this
> >> way.
> >
> > It's common practice in the metal world afaik. One of my bandmates has a
> > little (Reaper) based homestudio and virtually all metal bands he
> > records are re-amped through his collection of tube amps.
> >

> Interesting - but that's still a home studio. Is it common practice in
> pro studios that record heavy metal bands?

let's keep it simple as possible: IMHO a professional guitar player in the
world should not blend his guitar in a mix without using a tube amplifier
and his set of pedals.

you can re-amp or not but that's all.

moreovrer, a recording engineer should not satisfy other whims.

regards
-r

--
*L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata
all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti, alla