[LAU] Limiters?

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sun Jul 10 22:37:15 UTC 2011

Am 10.07.2011 23:47, schrieb Paul Davis:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Hartmut Noack<zettberlin at linuxuse.de>  wrote:
>> If I really believe, that an artist may have take the effort to make a real
>> album, I use to buy that album as a vinyl and listen to it the classical
>> way: on a real stereo without doing anything else an side by side.
>
> fetishization of a technological accident ought to be a sin, right up
> there with coveting thy neighbour's spouse.

I bought my recent belt-drive from my neighbour -- he is reduced to MP3
now, his spouse seems not to notice this yet ;-)

> the artist(s) want your attention, not your belt drive :)

Unfortunately I seldom find the time to grant full 60+ minutes of
attention to an artist so a crude technology that allows me to believe I
heared something the right way after but 20 minutes is good for me ;-)

But seriously: I am not a complete vinyl-zelot. CDs are very much OK for
me and if I have to choose to by a vinyl-box of Portisheads Third for
about 50 Euros or the CD for 15, I prefer to buy the CD.

And I have to admit, that many  LPs today are simply a CD-Master pressed
to grooves. Radioheads In Rainbows really sounds like one of these
cheapo-60-minutes Compilation-LPs sold in the 80ies. Even the MP3s sound
better. But there are also gems like I am a Bird Now by Anthony and the
Johnsons, that indeed sounds better than its CD-Version.