[LAU] Limiters?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Jul 11 05:30:09 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 05:47:59PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Hartmut Noack <zettberlin at linuxuse.de> wrote:
> >If I really believe, that an artist may have take the effort to make a real
> > album, I use to buy that album as a vinyl and listen to it the classical
> > way: on a real stereo without doing anything else an side by side.
>
> fetishization of a technological accident ought to be a sin, right up
> there with coveting thy neighbour's spouse.

Hm, what about guitar feedback then? Or tube saturation distortion, for that matter? Or echoplex feedback?

There are at least a few cases where technological accidents-- or gear being pushed beyond its boundaries-- caused a very desirable, very musical effect.

I think it was Brian Eno who said the appeal of distortions like tube saturation, film grain, pixellation, tape saturation, etc., was that it gives the impression that the emotion or meaning is so strong that it strains or breaks the medium that's trying to convey (or contain?) it, and that's the reason it sounds or looks so exciting.

-ken