[LAU] Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 53, Issue 14

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jul 11 08:00:14 UTC 2011

> Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 08:42:46 +0200
> From: Jeremy Jongepier <autostatic at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Limiters?
> To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>
> On 07/10/2011 11:47 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> > the artist(s) want your attention, not your belt drive :)
>
> Recently they did start wanting your belt drive (or direct drive in my
> case) ;) I already got some double LP's at 45rpm which contain songs
> actually, and those are new releases (which sound horrible as mp3's by
> the way). Vinyl is coming back a bit, love it!
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

I won't discuss pros and cons CD vs (in my case) direct drive (too), but
at least I own old Apple records and Wiki says, that the Beatles
recording were badly remastered:
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Cd_loudness_trend-something.gif&filetimestamp=20080301172612

I once heard the 'I against I' from the Bad Brains on CD and there was
no loudnesswar issue, but the sound anyway was bad. Perhaps they used a
mastering with equalisation for records and burned it to the CD, dunno,
but the sound had disgusting highs.

IMO if you want to be safe to get the original sound for old recordings,
buy old, secondhand Vinyl. I suspect that modern recordings are made for
CDs. Since I'm a (young) Dino I anyway own LPs (without barcode, it
wasn't invented when I bought my first records), I won't buy them as CD
too.

@ 180 seconds:

To be honest, I dare even to hear one song only from e.g. Jeff Wayne's
'The War of the Worlds'. I don't have the patience to hear such monsters
completely and very often the stories of conceptual recordings aren't
that interesting, e.g. 'Buckedheadland' is nice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucketheadland but it's not music I'm able
to listen to a complete CD.