[LAU] Connectors

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Mon Jul 11 10:52:57 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Fons Adriaensen's message of 2011-07-11 11:50:05 +0200:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:25:53AM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
>
> > Really? Yamaha doesn't seem to test with those then. I soldered TRS to
> > two TS connectors to be able to record my e-piano through its headphone
> > out. The TRS just doesn't fit, it seems to be too small, I can't get a
> > proper connection. The TRS of my old AKG headphones seems to fit
> > perfectly.
>
> Are you shure you have a standard TRS then ? I've got some Neutriks
> here, dimensions are perfectly OK. But I prefer Amphenols.
>
> There is a TRS-like connector sometimes called a 'GPO jack', the
> one used in manual telephone exchanges and in pro audio before
> bantams became the norm. It has a smaller diameter tip and the
> position of the ring is different as well. Don't know if Neutrik
> makes them, they are kind of rare these days.

Yes, I'm rather sure it's the right connector. It's apparently called
Neutrik NP3RCS (a picture can be seen here:
http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=218)

But I just played with it again for the first time in years and figured
out it was my fault all along. When I plugged in the headphones I felt a
snap eventually. When I plugged in my cable I didn't feel that, instead
I noticed that I could move it in and out a fair bit. Well, turns out I
simply never had plugged it in all the way...

All this time I thought it doesn't fit and is thus totally broken, but
while it's probably not a great cable (one of the first things I
soldered) it works well enough.

Sorry for the fuss, thanks for making me try the cable again. Over are
the days when I had to use soundfonts for recording :)

Philipp