[LAU] pulseaudio in realtime mode

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Wed Jul 13 00:07:10 UTC 2011

On Saturday 09 July 2011 14:57:12 Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> I can't start pulseaudio in realtime mode:
>
> I: module-jack-sink.c: JACK buffer size changed.
> I: module-jack-sink.c: JACK thread starting up.
> I: core-util.c: Successfully enabled SCHED_RR scheduling for thread,
> with priority 9.
> I: core-util.c: Successfully enabled SCHED_RR scheduling for thread,
> with priority 13.
> W: module-jack-sink.c: JACK error >Cannot use real-time scheduling
> (RR/67)(1: Operation not permited)<
> W: module-jack-sink.c: JACK error >JackClient::AcquireSelfRealTime
> error<
>
> But
> /etc/secuity/limits.conf
>
> @audio          -       rtprio          99
> @audio          -       nice            -20
> @audio          -       memlock         6000000
>
> @pulse-rt       -       rtprio          99
> @pulse-rt       -       nice            -20
> @pulse-rt       -       memlock         6000000
>
> groups user
> user dialout cdrom audio plugdev lpadmin pulse admin sambashare
> pulse-rt

I stumbled upon the same problem just a few days ago. All JACK clients
get realtime permissions just fine, only the PulseAudio JACK sink
doesn't. Even PulseAudio's JACK client thread, that should be created
somewhere in libjack, does not run with proper realtime scheduling.

Since no one on LAU seems to know the answer, I'm CC'ing the PulseAudio
list. Any help on this is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dominic