[LAU] Express card 54 adaptor for a Linux laptop

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Thu Jul 14 14:45:10 UTC 2011

On 07/14/2011 04:18 PM, Nicola wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm considering the opportunity to improve my home linux studio based
> buying this laptop http://www.garlach44.eu/it/notebook-galway-15-pollici
> (from a small italian company) with Ubuntu pre-installed (No Microsoft
> licenses to pay!!).
> This machine has an express card 54 slot.
> I'd like to use a firewire sound card (echo audiofire 8) so i should buy
> a firewire express card 54 adaptor.
> Does anybody use it & could tell me if it works properly ?
> Can you suggest me some models ?
> Thanks in advance
> Nicola

Hello Nicola,

This should work ok. Safe bet would be to get something like this:
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=161398
Because afaik this one has a TI chipset. I use a cheap Sweex ExpressCard
myself with a Via VT6315 chipset and that works fine:
http://www.sweex.com/en/assortiment/connectivity/pc-cards/FW022/
ExpressCards are a bit iffy though, especially on stage, I would use
Gaffa tape to tape it to your notebook.

Best,

Jeremy