[LAU] Express card 54 adaptor for a Linux laptop

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Fri Jul 15 07:38:42 UTC 2011

Hi Nicola,

Nicola wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm considering the opportunity to improve my home linux studio based
> buying this laptop
> http://www.garlach44.eu/it/notebook-galway-15-pollici (from a small
> italian company) with Ubuntu pre-installed (No Microsoft licenses to
> pay!!).
> This machine has an express card 54 slot.
> I'd like to use a firewire sound card (echo audiofire 8) so i should
> buy a firewire express card 54 adaptor.
> Does anybody use it & could tell me if it works properly ?

To get my FA 101 to work probably I eventually bought an expresscard
adaptor with a Texas Instruments (TI) chipset. The internal firewire
port of my hp notebook simply wouldn't  work. A cheapo expresscard would
work but I was getting any number of xruns and zombifications even with
all of the RT voodoo.

It's not very easy to find out the chipset on these cards because it's
not usually advertised. I got mine in a store in Rome, if you like I can
give you the exact specs when I get back home (because the brand I got -
Digitus - has two models one with TI and one without).

Lorenzo.