[LAU] Supercollider error

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Jul 15 11:50:02 UTC 2011

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Any SC experts out there ?
>
> I'm trying to install SuperCollider (from the AUR package) and get
> the following rather uniformative error:
>
> fons at c252:~> sclang
> init_OSC
> compiling class library..
>         NumPrimitives = 532
>         pass 1 done
> ERROR: There is a discrepancy.
> numClassDeps 0   gNumClasses 80
>
> That's without any ~/.sclang.cfg or ~/.sclang.sc.
>
> Strange thing is I did exactly the same yesterday evening on another
> system, using the same package, and everything works fine there.
>
> Anyt help appreciated !

Hi Fons,

I'm no expert, but I have been busy writing a lengthy article about the
latest Git version of SC3. I've run into that discrepancy problem when I
had installed Quarks or plugins that conflicted with something already
installed with the system. A directory is set up for the Quarks that is
in fact simply a directory of links to the actual packages. You can
remove or hide the links directory and restart the interpreter, that
should clear up the discrepancy (if it's caused by a quark - I'm not
sure what to do if a plugin is causing the trouble).

Your ~/.sclang.cfg is typically used to point to the server location,
set up JACK I/O ports, and set the path to the SwingOSC jarfile (if
wanted). I assume you started the server, then ran sclang ? Have you
tried setting up emacs or vi/vim for use with SC ? It's really the
better way of working with sclang.

Btw, what version are you testing ? I've been working only with the
unreleased 3.5, I don't know if my advice conflicts with the 3.4 series.

Let me know if I can help in any other way. These days I'm getting into
SC pretty heavily, it's a neat system.

Best,

dp