[LAU] Supercollider error

Florian Paul Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Fri Jul 15 22:00:22 UTC 2011

On 07/15/2011 04:14 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> 2011/7/14 Ken Restivo<ken at restivo.org>:
>> I'm no expert by any means, but I do recall trying SC some years ago and finding out it didn't support 64-bit systems.
>>
>> Is the system it works on a 32-bit and the one it doesn't work on a 64-bit, by any chance?
>>

> Please, do not spread misinformation...
>
> SuperCollider supports 64-bit, both the language (sclang) and
> synthesis server (scsynth and supernova).

But for a _very_ long time it didn't and it had to do IIRC with assuming
sizeof(int) == sizeof(void*), as it used to store pointers in int arrays
or something similar.. But indeed, it also has been fixed for _quite_ a
long time now (a year or two) :D

I do remember the pain of having to setup a 32 bit chroot system to do
some supercolliding and also kind of lost track of SC for it was always
a hassle. I'm glad it works so well now :D

Flo