[LAU] from 4 to 400 Hz

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 08:41:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Philipp Überbacher
<hollunder at lavabit.com>wrote:

> Excerpts from Rustom Mody's message of 2011-07-17 05:33:44 +0200:
> > I am preparing to give a talk on the wider ramifications of music.
> > One of the things I wish to demonstrate is that things that look
> different
> > are merely analogs but at different scales.
> >
> > eg if something vibrates at 400Hz we hear a sound of A-flat. If it
> > 'vibrates' at 4 Hz we hear a beat.
> > In the same analogy a 2 vs 3 poly-rhythm (should?) change to a do-so
> chord.
> > And so on.
>
> I suggest you do some experiments before you give a talk. At 4 Hz you
> won't be able to hear anything, you won't even be able to reproduce a
> 4 Hz sound with common speakers.

You took me quite literally,  [I did put the vibrate into quotes :-) ]
Let me spell out the experiment in more detail:
Say I have a rhythm in 4/4 time -- 4 even quarter notes, bar repeating every
second played by say a click. [What kind of click I am not very sure; sharp
with few harmonics would be best I expect]
Now if there were some (realtime) way of sliding the tempo from 1 sec to
millisec I expect the separate clicks would vanish into a hum at some stage.

This (and other such experiments) is what I want to demo.
Ive started looking at chuck.
How does it compare with puredata?