[LAU] from 4 to 400 Hz

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sun Jul 17 07:51:24 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Rustom Mody's message of 2011-07-17 05:33:44 +0200:
> I am preparing to give a talk on the wider ramifications of music.
> One of the things I wish to demonstrate is that things that look different
> are merely analogs but at different scales.
>
> eg if something vibrates at 400Hz we hear a sound of A-flat. If it
> 'vibrates' at 4 Hz we hear a beat.
> In the same analogy a 2 vs 3 poly-rhythm (should?) change to a do-so chord.
> And so on.

I suggest you do some experiments before you give a talk. At 4 Hz you
won't be able to hear anything, you won't even be able to reproduce a
4 Hz sound with common speakers.

> Is there some kind of software where I can make a 4 Hz beat and pull a
> slider or a freq text box entry until it sound like a A-flat note?

puredata springs to mind, it's easy to use and has everything you need.

Regards,
Philipp