[LAU] Playing webM video files (with Mplayer?)

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Jul 25 19:33:23 UTC 2011

Hi Julien,

Update your mplayer and it'll play. webm uses vorbis for audio and matroska for the container.  Both have been supported in mplayer for a while.
All that is new is the VP8 video-codec.  ffmpeg already has support for it (though libwebm and IIRC also some internal decoder); so you could try 'ffplay'.  Maybe you just  need to update mplayer/ffmpeg/libav* to the latest version of your distribution.

And no, it's not YET ANOTHER FORMAT. If things work out it'll become the first /widely used/ royality-free and open codec for video and make it into the HTML5 standard. - well there's a bit more to it, but hey.. no time for love Dr Jones.

ciao,
robin