[LAU] Jack "Force 16 bit"

Moshe Werner moshwe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 10:42:48 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I've managed to install Ubuntustudio 10.10 on my Macbook pro. When I tried
to work on Ardour I got terrible distortion.
So I tried to see where it comes from. Checked the master, OK. Checked the
Sound card (gnome alsa mixer), also good.
I thought I'll try some different settings within Jack, so I set the "Force
16 bit" parameter in Jack, while Ardour is still set to "Sample Format"=32
bit floating point.
Now the distortion is gone but I don't know if it was the right thing to do.
Anyone knows why this helped me? And more than this, did I do the right
thing or have I done something really stupid...

Appreciate your opinions,
Moshe