[LAU] Jack "Force 16 bit"

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Jul 27 11:58:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wednesday 27 July 2011 12:42:48 Moshe Werner wrote:
> I thought I'll try some different settings within Jack, so I set the "Force
> 16 bit" parameter in Jack, while Ardour is still set to "Sample Format"=32
> bit floating point.
> Now the distortion is gone but I don't know if it was the right thing to
> do. Anyone knows why this helped me? And more than this, did I do the
> right thing or have I done something really stupid...

Ardour and jack will always communicate their audio via float (that is 32bit
real numbers). As only very few devices implement that, most devices are
talked to in integer-numbers. The newer ones are capable of doing 24bit
integers, some older ones are fixed to 16bit integers. So forcing jack to talk
to the audio-device in 16bit might give you lower quality during playback and
recording but it will not affect the internal quality of the sound processing
done inside jack and ardour and all the apps. And files exported from ardour
will also not be affected by that jack-setting.

Arnold