[LAU] OT: which packages are needed for ambisonics

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 31 14:00:57 UTC 2011

Does anybody know writings about binaural (and ambisonics) how to handle
overhead and underfoot issues? I suspect that there are some tricks to
handle it, even if it might be impossible to do it perfectly. I'm not
especially interested in being able to produce overhead and underfoot
sound, but to prevent that sound became unwanted overhead or underfoot.
Friends and I did amateur microphonics in the 80's, inspired by
professional recordings we heard from the 70's. Reading the web I found
that it's a well known issue, but there were no hints how to handle this
issue. Does it help to use some kind of software, e.g. ambisonics to
calculate better binaural results? Are there any audio examples for
overhead and underfoot that can be heard with stereo headphones? I had a
telephone chat with somebody from the list, he will produce and send me
an example, unfortunately he's on a trip (travel not drug ;) at the
moment. If there should exist already such an example, it would be nice
to give me a link.