[LAU] OT: which packages are needed for ambisonics

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sun Jul 31 15:16:51 UTC 2011

On Sunday 31 July 2011 16:00:57 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Does anybody know writings about binaural (and ambisonics) how to handle
> overhead and underfoot issues? I suspect that there are some tricks to
> handle it, even if it might be impossible to do it perfectly. I'm not
> especially interested in being able to produce overhead and underfoot
> sound, but to prevent that sound became unwanted overhead or underfoot.
> Friends and I did amateur microphonics in the 80's, inspired by
> professional recordings we heard from the 70's. Reading the web I found
> that it's a well known issue, but there were no hints how to handle this
> issue. Does it help to use some kind of software, e.g. ambisonics to
> calculate better binaural results? Are there any audio examples for
> overhead and underfoot that can be heard with stereo headphones? I had a
> telephone chat with somebody from the list, he will produce and send me
> an example, unfortunately he's on a trip (travel not drug ;) at the
> moment. If there should exist already such an example, it would be nice
> to give me a link.

Ambisonics is per definition 3D, so its already including overhead and
underfoot in the signal. It only depends on your equipment if you can hear it
as distinctive directions or not.
And when the algorithm that converts ambisonics to binaural is good enough, it
not only includes the damping of the head for left/right-fron/rear but also
the body for top/down...

Have fun,

Arnold