[LAU] PITA: RME HDSPe AIO

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Mon Jun 6 09:45:33 UTC 2011

On 06/06/2011 11:09 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I'm missing the information how to build alsa-tools-1.0.24.1. If it
> can't be done by ./configure, make, make install, than IMO there should
> be a README.txt or INSTALL.txt mention the needed commands.

Hello Ralf,

Not sure if you're still using an Ubuntu based distro but:
https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-team/+archive/ppa/+packages?field.name_filter=alsa&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=

> What professional cards do work with Linux? I don't want to use
> TeraaTec, M-Audio and other equipment that doesn't provide the sound
> quality I need.

I'm using Focusrite cards and I'm very happy with those. Not sure how
they relate to RME cards, guess RME is one league higher :)

> When searching for a new 'professional' sound card I got the information
> or misinformation that most cards are firewire devices and firewire
> should be without issues only for Mac. Even Windows users reported that
> firewire is tricky.

The Focusrite cards I use are all FireWire cards and so far I've had
practically zero issues. It's a matter of having or getting the right
FireWire controller and setting up your system to accommodate the
FireWire stuff.

> The problem is that with each Linux upgrade X becomes more and more
> pain. I'm happy that my monitor settings are ok for all installs on my
> machine, but for all new installs the mouse wheel randomly and very
> seldom works, usually it don't work. I've got no issues with old Linux
> installs regarding to X (I still kept one old install).
>
> Setting up X is a PITA and using common distros PA was a PITA regarding
> to my old Envy24 cards, Debian doesn't use PA, that's why I switched.

Regarding your mouse, are you so attached to that good old Microsoft
PS/2 mouse that you never considered replacing it? And regarding PA, I'm
using Ubuntu on my audio installs happily without it. It should be
fairly simple to disable it on your Ubuntu install.

> There's nothing bad with Linux software for audio, but since 64 Studio
> is gone I don't know any 64-bit .deb distro that gives an audio
> environment by default.

Did you try Tango Studio?
http://tangostudio.tuxfamily.org/

Best,