[LAU] PITA: RME HDSPe AIO

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jun 6 10:39:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 11:45 +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 06/06/2011 11:09 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > I'm missing the information how to build alsa-tools-1.0.24.1. If it
> > can't be done by ./configure, make, make install, than IMO there should
> > be a README.txt or INSTALL.txt mention the needed commands.
> >

> Hello Ralf,
>
> Not sure if you're still using an Ubuntu based distro but:
> https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-team/+archive/ppa/+packages?field.name_filter=alsa&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=

On my machine there is Ubuntu Studio Maverick, excepted of the mouse
wheel issue a stable DAW, but it took days to set it up. Not the audio
apps, the fucking Ubuntu desktop.
On my machine there's Ubuntu Studio Natty, a GNOME2 session without any
app launched already needs 90% of the CPU resources of a 2.1GHz dual
core. I won't fix Ubuntu desktop issues all the time, that's why I
switched to Debian.
Even for Debian the Internet connection slows down and the mouse wheel
isn't working.
No thanks, I won't use Ubuntu based distros at the moment.

> > What professional cards do work with Linux? I don't want to use
> > TeraaTec, M-Audio and other equipment that doesn't provide the sound
> > quality I need.
> >

> I'm using Focusrite cards and I'm very happy with those. Not sure how
> they relate to RME cards, guess RME is one league higher :)

Honestly, I don't know what cards are 'good' and what are 'bad'. Motu
seems to tend to have a much better sound quality, than e.g. M-Audio and
TerraTec. Knowingly I never heard a RME or a Focusrite.

> > When searching for a new 'professional' sound card I got the information
> > or misinformation that most cards are firewire devices and firewire
> > should be without issues only for Mac. Even Windows users reported that
> > firewire is tricky.
> >

> The Focusrite cards I use are all FireWire cards and so far I've had
> practically zero issues. It's a matter of having or getting the right
> FireWire controller and setting up your system to accommodate the
> FireWire stuff.

Hm? Perhaps you could help somebody from the Ubuntu Studio users mailing
list, to get his Firewire working. I'll ask him to subscribe to LAU.

I'm using Linux only, but I asked Linux and Windows users about firewire
and here should be many issues, not only for audio gear that is
connected by firewire. It's said that firewire is Mac domain.

> > The problem is that with each Linux upgrade X becomes more and more
> > pain. I'm happy that my monitor settings are ok for all installs on my
> > machine, but for all new installs the mouse wheel randomly and very
> > seldom works, usually it don't work. I've got no issues with old Linux
> > installs regarding to X (I still kept one old install).
> >
> > Setting up X is a PITA and using common distros PA was a PITA regarding
> > to my old Envy24 cards, Debian doesn't use PA, that's why I switched.
> >

> Regarding your mouse, are you so attached to that good old Microsoft
> PS/2 mouse that you never considered replacing it? And regarding PA, I'm
> using Ubuntu on my audio installs happily without it. It should be
> fairly simple to disable it on your Ubuntu install.

It's disabled on my Ubuntu isntalls, but it wasn't neither very simple,
nor did I get rid of ALL pulseaudio issues.

Can you explain how to disable it in a simple way, or at least how to
get rid of ALL pulseaudio issues, even if it shouldn't be that simple?

I need to go to the supermarket today, to buy something to eat, I could
buy a mouse too ;), if the prices shouldn't be grotesque, if they should
be to expensive I can order a mice.
Dunno, is the Trekker mouse a Microsoft mouse? At least on my keyboard
there's a Microsoft logo on the key between the Ctrl and Alt key.

The best keyboard and mice I ever had. The keyboard needs to be replaced
soon or later. I'm already searching for a keyboard, but never found any
simple keyboard with good keys. 'Simple' = real ergonomically ;) and
space saving, no need for folderol. If such a keyboard should be
expensive, I would pay for a good keyboard and mouse.

The current mouse and keyboard are from bulk dump.

Is Linux dropping PS/2? But why does it work sometimes?

Regards,

Ralf