[LAU] rt kernels

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jun 10 12:42:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 14:04 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 06/09/2011 01:23 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > And your brain ;).
> > I'm not sure if it's a myth or true, it's said that stroboscope effects
> > can cause epileptic shocks even for averaged people. (Hopefully this
> > won't cause a discussion as the one about 'time'. ;)
> > A vertically frequency of 60 Hz won't cause an epileptic shock, but at
> > least effect your well-being.
>
> have you considered getting a tft display and retiring your tube monitor?

Yes, I tend to do music and not to do graphics for print media, so

- playing a single coil guitar, I suspect less electric smog by a
display
- more comfort, regarding to minimum space requirements, since I don't
have a studio anymore, just a divided room in a small flat

Contra

- the money from the last job was eaten by the RME HDSPe AIO + ADAT +
KORG nano + some other things I need, perhaps I've got a new job
tomorrow, perhaps until the year after next ;).

Not for me, but others should test if they are comfortable with the
colours, when they work for art print.

> the energy savings will very likely balance the cost within a year, plus
> you get lots of extra desk real estate. and no stroboscope, ever.
> and if you don't rely on excellent wide-gamut color reproduction, even
> the cheapest tfts should be sufficient.

Correct, for me the cheapest display would be an advantage at the
moment, but I know lot of artists who dropped their displays and use
their old monitors again.

> when i was using crts, i found i also needed at least 85hz to be
> comfortable, particularly in the office, where you'd be turning your
> head often and then see the strobing trail in the corner of the eye -
> very confusing. for the same reason, i still don't like DLP projectors -
> i don't see rainbows when looking straight on, but as soon as the head
> moves, i feel like i just popped a handful of mushrooms.

To teach children how music instruments work, it might be nice to plug a
string on the concert guitar in front of a monitor. Doing this the
stroboscope is useful :).

Yes, IIRC I also need more than 75 Hz, because moving the head etc.
could cause sense of the flicker. 90 Hz are ok for me and perhaps 80 or
85 too, I don't know.

That reminds me of [avoid name-dropping for now and hopefully for the
future too, at least somebody who knows how to connect speakers] who
told me that he was at a party and a solo entertainer connected the left
and right speakers out-of-phase.

He walked along the danceflour and was shocked when at some point the
phasing hit him by blitz. I guess people who aren't experts guess that
such a blitz is caused by oregano or something similar.

Regards,

Ralf

PS: I'm living at the border to the Netherlands. Oregano soon will only
be sold to Dutchmen who are members of an Oregano-Club, otherwise even
Dutchmen needs to eat the Pizza without oregano.