[LAU] rt kernels

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jun 11 07:04:38 UTC 2011

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 06/09/2011 01:23 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> And your brain ;).
>> I'm not sure if it's a myth or true, it's said that stroboscope effects
>> can cause epileptic shocks even for averaged people. (Hopefully this
>> won't cause a discussion as the one about 'time'. ;)
>> A vertically frequency of 60 Hz won't cause an epileptic shock, but at
>> least effect your well-being.
>
> have you considered getting a tft display and retiring your tube monitor?
> the energy savings will very likely balance the cost within a year, plus
> you get lots of extra desk real estate. and no stroboscope, ever.
> and if you don't rely on excellent wide-gamut color reproduction, even
> the cheapest tfts should be sufficient.

Oh, I am going to replace the CRT, Fathers Day is coming in the USA ...
with a bigger LED display. :-)

> when i was using crts, i found i also needed at least 85hz to be
> comfortable, particularly in the office, where you'd be turning your
> head often and then see the strobing trail in the corner of the eye -
> very confusing. for the same reason, i still don't like DLP projectors -
> i don't see rainbows when looking straight on, but as soon as the head
> moves, i feel like i just popped a handful of mushrooms.

My CRT can run up to 110Hz refresh rate but not at the resolution I use.
I'm also sensitive to screen flicker, can readily see it 60Hz clicker on
CRTs and flourescent tubes. Not as sensitive as you, though - 75Hz works
on the present CRT.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com