[LAU] OT: Overvoltage protection aginst lightning for audio studios

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jun 10 15:41:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 16:57 +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 06/10/2011 04:39 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Does anybody know if there's a way to protect equipment against damages
> > by lightning when there are no pre-protections?
>
> With the band we use a Furman power conditioner:
> http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=03&id=M-10xE
> Not sure though how it holds when lightning strikes though, never tested
> it ;)

DIN VDE

First of three stages for the end-user

residual voltage max. 4000 V
50/100 kA
10/350 µs

Second stage

residual voltage 600 bis 2000 V

Last stage

Consumer wall socket protection is helpful, but even when there are
stage one and two, they don't protect good.
So supermarket gear is more or less useless and completely useless,
without stage one and two.

The device of your link seems to be a professional, good protection,
when there are stage one and two, before your device is connected.

IIUC without pre-protection even a professional device for the third
stage is useless.

This is my understanding, no knowledge.

Regards,

Ralf