[LAU] OT - syncing partially out of sync video and audio in existing files

Philipp hollunder at lavabit.com
Fri Jun 10 15:58:46 UTC 2011

Hi,
sorry for abusing this list for a mostly video editing question, but I
didn't find a proper list and knew that we have some video people on
this list.

I'd like to fix some videos that have partially out of sync video and
audio, meaning that beginning at a certain point in the video the audio
is suddenly out of sync by a couple of seconds. There's no constant
change, the delay seems fixed once it's there.

I wonder how to fix such a thing. The files are xvid encoded videos and
vbr mp3 audio inside avi containers. I thought it should be reasonably
easy to cut and move the audio (re-encode if unavoidable, but I know
it's in principle possible without) and put it back in a container, but
I didn't manage.

Can someone recommend a program/workflow that would allow this?

I tried:
- Avidemux: seems like actual editing is not what this program was
  written for, couldn't figure it out, but it seems close

- openshot: couldn't figure out how to separate video/audio

- kino: seems to only work with DV-files, apparently takes ages to
  decode the file, doesn't seem to be what I need

- openmovieeditor: I figured it might work by dragging the file to both
  a video and an audio track, but I got extremely garbled audio output,
  no idea what's wrong

- cinelerra-cv: Doesn't start. No error message, it simply shows no
  window, nothing. Well, it does something with the screen, but it shows
  nothing.

- pitivi: Doesn't seem like it can play back the video. I can drag the
  video to the tracks and it starts to draw a waveform, I guess no video
  thumbnails because of: gst.ElementNotFoundError: pngenc
  Doesn't seem to be able to play the video.

- kdenlive: would require me to install 30 additional packages, total
  about 200MB, no thanks.

I thought it would be a simple task, really nothing fancy. Seems like I
was wrong.

Regards,
Philipp