[LAU] OT - syncing partially out of sync video and audio in existing files

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Jun 10 21:13:23 UTC 2011

On 06/10/2011 10:36 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 21:44 +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> http://rg42.org/wiki/a3vtl
>
> Wow, Ardour with MIDI sequencer and for video sync. I can't believe that
> this is real. Am I awake?

it's real. still somewhat alpha but it's been usable and was announced
~1 year ago on ardour-dev. Paul said he'll look into merging this
endeavour around ardour-3.1 but there's no promise to that.

I've demoed it at the LAC2011 and Dave has written about it:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/ecology-ardour previously.

> Any chance that it will work with 4 GB RAM (who cares for RAM, it's
> cheap, but I can't buy a new mobo and CPU etc.), AMD 2.1 GHz dual-core,
> HDSPe AIO or does this need some kind of super computer to do an
> extensive production?

sure. it's not too heavy on RAM, 128MB should do; but the more the
better (video frame-cache). and you should have a >1.6GHz dual-core CPU
for decoding PAL-DVDs in real-time.

It's also possible to run 'icsd' (the video-decoding server) distributed
on a cluster.

> I would like to remove the OT for the subject, because this isn't OT. I
> never have given up to get rid off MIDI jitter and I get rid of it, but
> I have given up to get a workstation that would enable all I would like
> to have.
>
> On what hardware was it successfully used? What distro?

amd64/x86-64 (GNU/Linux & OSX 10.6), i386 (Linux/win32) and PPC (OSX 10.5).

I develop and use it in on Debian. Patrick Shirkey has tested it IIRC on
Fedora/CCRMA, Dave Phillips' test system looks like Ubuntu; and Pau
Arumi has reported some bugs and success as well on Fedora.

'icsd' is pretty much disto and OS agnostic.  However, Ardour3 only runs
on GNU/Linux and requires a few tewaks for OSX.

ciao,
robin