[LAU] Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!

Aaron Krister Johnson aaron at akjmusic.com
Sun Jun 12 07:40:36 UTC 2011

Hi all--

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this:

I'm considering purchasing PianoTeq, but I wanted to try the demo. It seems
to work better with just the alsa driver than it does with jack, a reversal
of the usual situation.

I tested this several times by playing fast glissandi on the default piano
preset. Each time, my little EEE-PC netbook under jack choked with xruns and
a brief silence while PianoTeq 'reset' itself, but Alsa alone chugged away
with no xruns unless there was an extreme amount of load....

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on this. It seems odd, especially since
the jack developers claim jack adds no latency by itself to the picture in
any situation---so, do we have a situation where the code is better written
for the alsa driver than for jackd? It seems we do, in this case....

Best,
AKJ

--
Aaron Krister Johnson