[LAU] flac file read peak/rms

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Mar 3 11:42:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:11:00AM +0100, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> what is the preferred way to compute amplitude peak and possibly rms peak and
> average rms of a flac file?
> sndfile-info doesn't seem to display these data for flac files, normalize-audio
> and doesn't support flac at all.

At the next LAC I'll present an app that calculates

* true peak
* max momentary loudness
* max short-term loudness
* average loudness
* loudness range

for a file, all to the EBU R-128 standard.

Loudness is based on RMS after some filtering. I could add a switch
to bypass the filter and R-128 specific averaging (which is not just
averaging). But if you need the RMS values as a loudness estimate,
then the full R-128 algorithm will provide better results than
straight RMS.

It should handle any file that libsndfile can read, this includes FLAC.
First release in a month or so, ATM only the real-time version (jack
input, GUI) is finished.

Ciao,

--
FA