[LAU] Two QjackCtl questions: JACK autostart and shutdown

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu Mar 3 14:01:18 UTC 2011

On 02/28/2011 11:36 PM, Dominic Sacré wrote:
> Hi Rui,
>
> On Monday 28 February 2011 23:59:31 Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>> a. qjackctl --start command line option is persistent indeed. it has
>> been like that for so long since i can't remember why i made
>> it--well, no one complained, until now :)
>
> Do you think this could be changed, so --start would just temporarily
> override the setting from the setup dialog? Or maybe at least add a
> --nostart command line option?

solved on svn trunk (qjackctl 0.3.7.8): now the command line server
start option (--start) is now independent of the configuration setup
option (Setup/Misc/Start JACK audio server on application startup).

>> b. qjackctl kindly refuses to shutdown forcedly if jackd is still
>> running and clients are connected--to me thats a good reason but i
>> believe you could get away if you turn off this setup/misc/confirm
>> application close option.
>
> Nope, that's not the behaviour I'm seeing. "Confirm application close"
> is off. "Confirm server shutdown" is off. JACK is not running, and there
> are no JACK clients (obviously) or ALSA clients connected. And yet, when
> I choose "Shut down" from the Gnome menu, QjackCtl is only minimized to
> the systray, and the system keeps running as if nothing happened.

oh, now i get it. problem is, qjackctl doesn't make a distinction
whether you're closing the main window by clicking on the window manager
decoration [x] button or your desktop environment is being shutdown or
logging off. when the system tray icon is enabled, closing the main
window will just get it minimized, if not already.

i guess this issue cannot be solved right away. it would, if one could
distinguish a normal window-close from a desktop-shutdown, but there's
none from plain qt4. if it makes you happier, it also applies to kde :)

anyway, if and when that happens, you can be sure that requesting
desktop-shutdown a second time will work (qjackctl main window will be
minimized by that time:)

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela