[LAU] Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 19:20:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 13:30:58 -0500
Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Renato <rennabh at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > but pro level has nothing to do with user friendliness. I mean of
> > course we want the linux audio environment to improve, but that has
> > nothing to do with a pretty DE where you don't need to use the
> > terminal or tweak one or two .conf files
> >

> Actually I would disagree.  Yes whether a tool can be sued for
> professional projects is one thing, but the difference is in speed.
> These days a professional level tool is one that allows you to
> accomplish your task as quickly as possible with as few distractions
> as possible.  This is generally also inferred to be user
> friendliness, but not necessarily, it does however mean that you
> shouldn't need to spend time doing extra things that could be done
> for you, like configure your OS just so you can work;)

I totally agree with that (and thus I partially drop what I was
stating in the mail you replied to), but as I'm asking in other terms in
my email in reply to Kim, how much time does one really spend, on
average, tweaking a linux OS for being it ready for audio work? I
really don't think that much as myths want. And again, that time
invested is IMO the unavoidable trade off for using open source
software which you don't pay for

cheers
renato

who, as Kim spotted out, has never worked "seriously" in pro audio
software, but thinks that linux's difficulty is overrated