[LAU] Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 19:28:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Renato <rennabh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I totally agree with that (and thus I partially drop what I was
> stating in the mail you replied to), but as I'm asking in other terms in
> my email in reply to Kim, how much time does one really spend, on
> average, tweaking a linux OS for being it ready for audio work? I
> really don't think that much as myths want. And again, that time
> invested is IMO the unavoidable trade off for using open source
> software which you don't pay for

This really depends.

This is related to another phenomenon I see pop up often when newcomers
switch to Linux, and that is the desire to stay on the bleeding edge to get
the newest features.  The problem is this doesn't fit into the, if it ain't
broke don't fix it philosophy, and what would be common sense thoughts(Don't
update your studio computer without testing first) get thrown out the
window.  I haven't quite put my finger on why exactly this happens, but
believe it or not, I tihnk the perception of the lack of release cycles
plays into this.

I have been a strong proponent of Ardour adopting a binary distribution
independant package format, which has been done.  There are a variety of
benefits to this(And some disadvantages for the record), but one thing I
didn't think of until now is how that could affect perceptions and release
cycles.  I think many people get confused by the lack of a true release
cycle for much of open source development, and as a result assume they need
to update as soon as possible.  A binary distribution can encourage a more
stable release cycle instead I think(At least at my first thought, which
means it may change in a day or two;).  As a result it might help with
people that switch to Linux not to fall into the trap to assume you always
have to update to the newest version as soon as possible instead of waiting
for it to be packaged into a 'release'.

At any rate, this is enough rambling on that topic from me, my point being
that you are absolutely correct, that often times you don't HAVE to update
or tweak your OS much.  When you do update is when things tend to break, and
because of this perception you have to stay up to date it means a not
insignificant amount of time fooling with the OS when something breaks, as
it always does eventually.

     Seablade