[LAU] Linux Audio Monthly Round-Up #7 - February 2011

S. Massy lists at smassy.andropov.org
Tue Mar 8 19:47:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 04:55:43PM +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Cedric!
>   I don't want to start another flame war, so please take this only
> as an opinion and certainly not an offense.
>   I suppose we might have a few people, who hold the copyright to
> their music. By not having otherwise expressed a copyright yet, I'm
> one of them. But how do I have "more space" to get an airing? What
> makes my way of distribution so different? Granted, upto now, people
> should ask me, if they want to redistribute my music. But otherwise,
> my way of getting open air, open ears and listeners, is the same as
> all the CC-by-SA chaps. I don't take any money for my music, well
> most of it. :-) I use open source tools and move within this
> community, have done so for 10 years now and don't think of
> abstaining. the only thing I wish is to have some control over my
> music. I like to follow it, see that it doesn't get used for
> purposes, that I can't agree with. I don't prohibit anyone from
> listening to it FOR FREE, showing it to friends, playing it - god
> forbid - at a party :-)... You get my meaning.
Well, I think your point is very valid; I feel much the same about
what I creat, in whatever medium it happens to be. This said, I think
it's a mistake not to license, or at least explicitly state one's
expectations are and simply rely on inherent copyrights. The outcome is
likely to be one of two possibilities: either people will refrain from
linking or redistributing the material out of uncertainty (as Jeremy
did), or they will misconstrue the absence of a clear statement as a
tacit permission to use the work in most any way they see fit.

Just my 2 pennies worth...

Cheers,
S.M.