[LAU] Can't use HPET by JACK2 under kxstudio (probably, it is ubuntu problem too).

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Mar 9 17:06:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Mike Cookson <cook60020tmp at mail.ru> wrote:
> I added clocksource option to bootloader. Not sure yet, are there any changes (too hard to check for me).

there will be no visible changes. using the HPET as a clocksource (in
JACK) is intended to guard against oddities caused by CPU frequency
scaling. if JACK uses the CPU instruction counter to check the passage
of wallclock time, its sense of time passing can be skewed by the CPU
being sped up and slowed down. there are no performance improvements
or behavioral changes expected from using the HPET instead.

i have no idea if using the HPET as the system (kernel) clocksource
offers the same protection.