[LAU] Alternative FluidSynth GUI?

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 10:25:17 UTC 2011

On Sunday 20 March 2011, Dan Capp wrote:
> Research tells me that QSynth seems to be the only currently
> available/usable GUI for FluidSynth, but I get big xruns whenever I try and
> use it. FluidSynth itself doesn't cause me problems (I know because I'm able
> to use the FluidSynth-DSSI plugin fine in Rosegarden etc). The problem is
> that I want to use FluidSynth with Ardour3, but Ardour3 doesn't support DSSI
> plugins yet. So the only solution I have is to find a standalone interface
> for FluidSynth and then to link up using Jack. I looked at the old GUI
> 'FluidGUI' but it seems to be so old that it won't properly install on
> recent versions of Ubuntu.
>
> So does anyone know of:
> 1) A GUI for FluidSynth other than QSynth and FluidGUI?... or
> 2) An application other than the above 2 which would allow me to load
> soundfonts?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - Dan

There is a list of applications using Fluidsynth in this page:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/wiki/Applications
A few of them are GUI interfaces: FluidGUI, FluidSynthGUI and Gluid. FluidSynthGUI is for windows only, and the Gluid web site is down now...

Anyway, I see that you already solved your problem. I want only to explain that the same libfluidsynth engine is used (as a shared library or DLL) by the fluidsynth CLI program and the QSynth GUI. You should be able to use the same settings on both front-ends, getting the same results. The default settings may be different, though. To see the current settings with the command line program, use the "settings" command at the internal shell prompt. You can see the same data in QSynth: Setup button->Settings tab.

Regards,
Pedro