[LAU] help with guitarix settings - jack issue

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Sun Mar 27 12:20:22 UTC 2011

Quoting Cedric Roux <sed at free.fr>:

> ----- "Peder Hedlund" <peder at musikhuset.org> wrote:
>> 1. You aren't running jack with realtime priorities and memory
>> locking.
>>     start jack with a "-P 70" flag prior to "-d alsa".
>
> I don't have a rt kernel and don't plan to have one.

You don't need an RT-kernel for this. Most of the RT-patches are in
the standard kernel since a long time so this should work for you. And
jack _really_ needs to be able to lock down memory.

>> 2. Built in Intel soundcards usually work better with 3 periods per
>> buffer
>
> I'll try that, why not.

As mentioned by Jeremy, this is for USB - not built ins, but since you
have an USB device you should try it.

>> 3. Why are you using different soundcards for capture and playback?
>
> why not? I have an internal soundcard for playback
> and an external usb device (ua1ex) for audio
> capture. What's wrong with that?

You're introducing additional complexity to the setup. You also seem
to be running them at different bit depth (24 vs 32) which may or may
not be a problem. Until you get things working, see if you can use the
ualex for playback as well.