[LAU] help with guitarix settings - jack issue

Cedric Roux sed at free.fr
Sun Mar 27 12:28:57 UTC 2011

----- "Peder Hedlund" <peder at musikhuset.org> wrote:
> You don't need an RT-kernel for this. Most of the RT-patches are in
> the standard kernel since a long time so this should work for you. And
> jack _really_ needs to be able to lock down memory.

I tried as root and it does not change a thing.
And root, well it was the case a few years ago,
has all the rights. It's still the case, no?
So it locks memory but still, there are xruns all
the time.

> >> 2. Built in Intel soundcards usually work better with 3 periods
> per
> >> buffer
> >
> > I'll try that, why not.
>
> As mentioned by Jeremy, this is for USB - not built ins, but since you
> have an USB device you should try it.

I can't set differently for capture and playback?

> >> 3. Why are you using different soundcards for capture and
> playback?
> >
> > why not? I have an internal soundcard for playback
> > and an external usb device (ua1ex) for audio
> > capture. What's wrong with that?
>
> You're introducing additional complexity to the setup. You also seem
> to be running them at different bit depth (24 vs 32) which may or may
> not be a problem. Until you get things working, see if you can use the
> ualex for playback as well.

what?
I won't do that, no.
I have the ua1ex to capture audio
and the internal for playback.
I won't do differently.
If jack can't handle that, I'll get rid of it,
in a way or another.