[LAU] xrun problems. (Was Re: Introduction to Ardour 3.0 MIDI)

Dan Capp reflectremain at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 21:15:27 UTC 2011

Hi Peder. Thanks for your assistance. Info below:

>What CPU do you have (grep "model name" /proc/cpuinfo)?

AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor

>Have you made the limits.conf hack to enable realtime and are you

I'm afraid I have no idea. I have a real-time kernel and I have it set to on
when I use firewire, but off when I use alsa. All music production (when I
get the one-off xruns) happens only when using firewire, and thus with
realtime on.

>running jack in realtime (with say -P70)?

Yes I have jack in realtime, on exactly P70, but ONLY in firewire mode. Alsa
mode is set to default priority and non-realtime. I have QjackCtl setup so
that it launches and starts in Alsa-mode when I boot my computer. When I do
music stuff and turn my firewire device on I switch to the "firewire" preset
which is realtime P70.

>Are you running jack with ?ber-low latency; what's the frames/period
setting?

In firewire mode I have frames/period setting of 256 with buffer on 3 = a
latency of 17.4 msec. Alsa mode is much higher on 1024 and around 70 msec
(but I believe that should be irrelevant as I don't do any audio/midi jack
connection stuff in Alsa mode.

-Dan