[LAU] acid techno test

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Mon May 16 22:37:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Chris Cannam
<cannam at all-day-breakfast.com> wrote:
> On 16 May 2011 21:48, James Morris <jwm.art.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>> i always prefer the slightly weirder sounds, so of course that's
>> something i've gone for with this track:
>>
>> http://jwm-art.net/audio/acid_techno_test1.mp3
>
> The sounds are quite authentic, I think.  The kick might not seem very
> techno these days but it's quite appropriate for the time and genre.
>
> ("Acid"-anything tended to mean lots of 303 in it, but that detail
> aside, the samples and general tone are plausible enough for the sort
> of thing you might have found in the techno room at Club UK
> [http://history-is-made-at-night.blogspot.com/2009/02/club-uk-in-wandsworth-love-ecstasy-and.html,
> nice article])
>
> The main problem I have is that that snare noise is far too
> four-square, bash bash bash bash, to be so far forward in the mix,
> particularly nearer the start.  It's just too much.
>
> And of course the whole thing is too short.

Yeh... great track! :)

It sounds pretty 90's techno to me.. And I think the speed is about
right for 92-93.. Things only pushed 140 in the late 90s IIRC unless
we are talking DnB.

Reminds me of dancing at the Velvet Underground to Carl Cox around that time..

Only things I would say is the bass drum should be a bit harder -
sounds a bit flabby to me, and the hi-hat/snare sound is a bit
overpowering - things were generally a bit tighter I think - less
reverby.. although it does give the impression of actually being in a
club! All the fx are fantastic.. maybe a bit more than was possible at
the time tho?

And vastly too short!

James