[LAU] acid techno test

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Mon May 16 22:09:44 UTC 2011

On 16 May 2011 21:48, James Morris <jwm.art.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> i always prefer the slightly weirder sounds, so of course that's
> something i've gone for with this track:
>
> http://jwm-art.net/audio/acid_techno_test1.mp3

The sounds are quite authentic, I think.  The kick might not seem very
techno these days but it's quite appropriate for the time and genre.

("Acid"-anything tended to mean lots of 303 in it, but that detail
aside, the samples and general tone are plausible enough for the sort
of thing you might have found in the techno room at Club UK
[http://history-is-made-at-night.blogspot.com/2009/02/club-uk-in-wandsworth-love-ecstasy-and.html,
nice article])

The main problem I have is that that snare noise is far too
four-square, bash bash bash bash, to be so far forward in the mix,
particularly nearer the start.  It's just too much.

And of course the whole thing is too short.

Chris