[LAU] acid techno test

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Tue May 17 14:35:51 UTC 2011

On 17 May 2011 00:53, Diego Simak <diego.simak at gmail.com> wrote:
> I really liked this track, I don't know if I would call it "acid" per
> se but it has an acid dose on it
> When I was younger than today I thought that old skool techno acid
> songs were pretty primitives and therefore, easy to reproduce using
> modern sw drum machines and synths, but I realized that those songs
> were -and I'm talking about specifically the drums- actually very hard
> to implement (at least were pretty hard to me)
> That kind of hardness is what I like more and what I miss from today.

Yes, I miss that too.

> Anyway, really nice track
> It will be very nice if you can describe what apps/sw/hw were used to
> compose this track

Thanks. No hardware other than AMD64 PC with delta66 sound card, arch
linux, yoshimi, seq24, hydrogen, ardour, and plugins.

I've spent most of the past year programming and took some sounds from
half-started ardour sessions. It was all a bit sketchy. The 'acid'
sequence uses yoshimi and was a single bar loop in seq24 which was
deleted as soon as I got it down in time machine. Tweaked yoshimi
params while recording. Almost all the audio tracks in ardour have at
least one AM Pitch Shifter plugin. One uses a second to almost cancel
the effect of the first out, while other plugins process audio in
between. That's one of my favourite tricks for some time now.

-----

Also thanks to others who have responded here. It was a surprise to
see positive comments! I was expecting a bit of a beating after the
first two responses :-)

I'm gonna have another go at this track, it needs to be longer as
Chris mentioned, and more bass as Julien so kindly mentioned :-)

James.