[LAU] Request for advice : more specific

rosea.grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Fri May 27 08:39:16 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 04:59 PM, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Rather than tell you what software is "best" to use, (as its down to
> opinion anyway)
> I'll tell you about how I go about making my tracks:
>
> -Audio & MIDI: JACK is an server that does inter application audio /
> midi routing. It's gonna be the core of any pro-audio system you have
> on linux. QJackCtl is the frontend to the server, & that's how to
> launch it all.
>
> -Sequencer software: Qtracktor, handles both audio & midi tracks, has
> some useful keybindings you'll need to learn before you get the most
> out of it.
>
> -Audio recording: I usually compose tracks in MIDI, bounce them trough
> an XV-3080 roland synth, record the audio *back* into Qtractor. That
> way I can keep that instrument playing, and change the patch on the
> synth, to record another instrument or 2...  Then I export the audio
> to .wav files, and import them into Ardour. (tip: make the recordings
> all from the beginning, and align the starts to a beat in Ardour. No
> more messy aligning the tracks per ear.) In Ardour I make all the
> automation, effects, mixing volumes etc. Export the track once happy.
>
> -Mastering: Audacity, just load it up, and have a look if your happy
> with the overall dynamics or if it could benefit from some compression
> / name it. Export to .ogg, .mp3, .flac, .wav or whatever format you
> want, type in the track info, done! :)
>
> Hardware wise, the following is *needed* for the above setup:
> -Soundcard: can be simple & onboard thing, but for better performance
> & quality go with a pro-interface. Check compatibility of the card
> before you splash out!
> -MIDI interface: To drive the synth. (Also to record MIDI into
> QTractor if you so wish)
> -Mixer: a hardware mixer isn't strictly needed, but its healthy to
> have a real fader you can pull down if things go too loud.. :S
> -Speakers: but you know that :)
>
> Accessories: Of course you can add on as much hardware as you like,
> but sometimes its *easier* to do things in software, like automation
> of parameters on you FX unit over MIDI can be a pain, Ardour takes
> care of details if you use an LV2 or LADSPA reverb.
>
> Note that there are many many more sequencers, another couple of HDR
> solutions and hunderds of other workflows available. The best part is
> that you get to pick a workflow that suits you best. As I've said,
> I've described my workflow here, no need to stick to it!
> Cheers & good luck! -Harry

Interesting approach to answer this question Harry! As a newbie it might
be interesting what kind of workflow other have to make music on Linux.
You could even put these workflows in a wiki...
Here are some others:
http://linux.autostatic.com/2011/05/19/lac2011-workflow-workshop-video
http://louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_livesetup

\r