[LAU] Switching the distro

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 29 16:38:45 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 13:06 -0300, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> 2011/5/29 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>:
> > On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 13:04 +0200, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> >> If you want to build a lot of stuff yourself, Arch Linux and Gentoo
> >> crosses my mind.
> >
> > Arch Linux might be interesting, I need to read more or just will test
> > it. Gentoo, hm? OOTB (is there an 'OOTB'?) without ALSA?
> >
> >        "nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx removed from [extra]
>
> What nvidia card do you have?
>
> Maybe extra/nvidia 270.41.19-1 (the updated one), nouveau or even
> nouveau-git would be better for your video card.
> If you really need a legacy nvidia driver, then you might have
> problems with recent xorg versions. You can manually choose to use an
> older version of xorg if you really need.

7200 GS as replacement for the integrated ATI Radeon X1250-based. What
ever this "based" should mean. I didn't get 3D acceleration working for
the ATI. Sometimes I do need 3D acceleration, but I don't need the
NVIDIA, if the ATI should work. I can't pay for another graphics, I'm
jobless and from the money I had from my last job, I bought a RME card
and other expensive gear some days ago. Nobody knows when I'll have a
job again, hence there's no run on artists, philosophers and even audio
and video engineers in Germany at the moment ;). So yes, I need a
proprietary NVIDIA or ATI driver that will work with one of those two
graphics.

Thank you, at least I know that I might need to downgrade X.

-- Ralf