[LAU] browsing large sample collections

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sun Nov 6 18:45:20 UTC 2011

On Sunday 06 November 2011 12:28, Brent Busby wrote:
> This may have come up before in a recent thread, but are there any apps
> that are good for doing file management across a large number of samples
> in many subdirectories?  Something like GQview for audio -- the ability
> to cursor or browse over a folder structure and audition, rename,
> move/copy, and most importantly delete, all through the program's UI
> would be nice.  All of this becomes really essential as the size of the
> collection becomes large and unmanageable.

Evolution will preview audio files by default if you hover the mouse
pointer over them... but oddly enough, only in the "icon view" mode, which
I find less convenient than GQview's linear list.  As a file manager, it
naturally has rename/move/copy/delete functions, but in icon view it's not
that easy to view a whole folder structure at once.

There's definitely a gap that could be filled there.

Rob