[LAU] Tips for mastering?

Gabbe Nord gabbe.nord at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 13:42:04 UTC 2011

Hello!

In a month or so I'll for the first time in my life attempt to master two
smaller EPs (my own music should be added). I've worked up a fairly good
skillset with some parts of the mastering (multiband compressing etc) but I
need some major help with tips for what I'm trying to accomplish, which is:

* I want a similar soundlevel throughout the whole of the EP, eg. I want
the songs to be similar in strength even if they are dissimilar in
dynamics/type of song. Some songs are naturally more "aggressive" and thus
will be a bit stronger, but I want the climaxes in the more easy going
songs to be as strong.

I realise that most of this will be done through the traditional "just
listen and compare", but I'm wondering if there are any other
analyzingtools that might ease my work a bit? Like analysing RME for the
whole song, will that give a fair indication that can be compared amongst
songs? Fatigued ears and the need for alot of small breaks is calculated
with, but those difficulties will be pretty testing for me I think with my
low patience lol, so anything that makes the process easier is good stuff!
Mastering on my own like this probably isn't that good, I know, but I'm
looking at it as an opportunity to learn some tricks of the trade.

I will be using plugins from linuxDSP together with a few Calf ones and the
Foo Limiter, so no Jamin etc.

Do you have any general tips for me etc? All tips I can get are greatly
appreciated!

Thanks in advance, regards,