[LAU] Tips for mastering?

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Mon Nov 14 17:01:56 UTC 2011

Hello,

First, all of what Al said is good common sense stuff.

When you say "mastering" are you implying that someone else is mixing
and you intend to do the post-processing? Why not go the whole way and
do it all yourself?

IMHO, it's worthwhile to pause and think about how you want things to
sound *before* even touching anything. Once you have an answer to that
question, it's a very good exercise to listen to a cross-section of the
genre and pick a few reference mixes you feel comfortable with (they
don't have to be perfect, so long as you know what the strong and weak
points are): it fulfils the double role of providing some kind of marker
to ce-centre you when your ears have had all they can take, and forcing
you to think about what you like and don't like in a mix.

For a whole album, you probably want to do it in two passes, the first
focusing on the songs, the second on harmonising the sound. If the mixes
were well done in the first place, the amount of work should be minimal:
in fact, you probably should worry if you find yourself tinkering too
much with certain aspects of the sound...

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck!

Cheers,
S.M.