[LAU] Decoding/ripping dolby surround CDs

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Nov 20 00:15:28 UTC 2011

"I've got to agree with this.  Anyone who has listened to something that
also included signal that was 90 degrees out of phase knows that the
result if anything but inaudible."

This third channel should be audible in stereo, the problem is that when
decoding something that should be audible for 2 channels and not for the
third channel, it might become audible for the third channel too. OTOH,
regarding to the kind of signal +/- 90° could sound very artificial.

So I suspect that somebody might mix with focus on the surround decoding
and do some strange things to the mix.

"A matrix recovering the missing channels (with lots of
crosstalk from the others, but things are done in a way
as to make this acceptable)"

While this should be true, grotesque experiments to avoid crosstalk
might cause bad mixes.

There are a lot of strange ideas in general, how to use what ever
surround sound. I never understood and I still don't understand what a
Brauner/SPL Atmos should be good for. Seemingly nobody is interested in
this thingy:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Brauner-SPL-Atmos-5-1-Surround-Microphone-System-/200603807139

Who cares, working for Brauner was a job, but at this time he lost
friends, others and me. Stuff like this is made to get money, money,
money, in this case fortunately less people were that stupid and bought
this nonsense.