[LAU] The pain of Firewire audio hardware

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 09:45:03 UTC 2011

[Long, partly rant-ish, pouring OT email, so if you want feel free to skip]

This morning I got the most polite, kind email from a person who knows
me as "the linux guy" and saw me use linux with audio a lot, candidly
asking "I need your help: were can I get drivers for my RME Fireface
400" for Ubunto?
Now, I went writing the usual leitmotiv of explaining the situation with
Firewire hardware on linux, the fact that most audio hardware makers
suck at linux, the great FFADO effort, etc. etc. What will he think? I
don't know.

But, while writing I couldn't keep back a bitter frustration feeling
thinking of having to explain this over and over. I'm not trying to find
'someone' to blame or anything, simply it feels frustrating,
evangelising linux, showing it how great it is for audio, but then...
there you go a simple polite question and this bitter feeling you can't
really help him much... Arrrghh. And I wouldn't feel like saying thow it
away and get a fully supported FFADO one, right?

So. I wonder if we should do a audio-hardware-manufacturers push effort.
I once wrote a (probably solitary, naive) email to RME who (rudely)
replied that "ALSA does the drivers for linux, ask them" (WTF??).

Maybe we could pick the 5 most popular yet lieux-unfriendly
manufacturers and do a collective petition, lobbying, PR action. I'm no
low-level dirver programming expert, but my feeling is that in some
cases doing a binary version of their drivers wouldn't be so much
effort. I know, I know... I said the "B" word (binary), but that's yet
another debate. Having "something" for linux IMHO would be good starters.

Sorry for the long pouring out, but this is one topic which I'm really
sensitive to especially when relating to the "Macs are for serious
audio" universe. (Arrrrggghh)

Lorenzo.

--
** NOTE **: This gmail address is my new email.
I will still be reading my libero.it email, but please use this new one