[LAU] [slightly OT] Musical citation (what is allowed?)

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Wed Nov 30 13:30:09 UTC 2011

onsdagen den 30 november 2011 13.47.21 skrev  Julien Claassen:
> Hello everyone!
>    I'd like to cite from a relatively recent work (1970), which of course is
> still copyrighted. So can I do it per se? I'd just like to cite a main
> phrase for a bit (2-4 bars) I suspect. any hints on that would be very much
> appreciated.

Hard to answer, and it depends of the context. If just one beat from that
phrase is significant for the melody, then you might run into trouble. On the
other hand, you can (if I understands everything right) often cite several
seconds of a song without paying royalties when for example showing or
reviewing song.

Here is links to some (hopefully blind friendly) documents that might help
you:

  http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties.htm/printable
  http://www.alankorn.com/articles/sampling.html
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use